- Profile Evaluation
Study in USA
Study in Canada
Study in UK
Study in Australia
Statement of Purpose (SOP)
Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- Case Studies
Creating a perfect SOP - Tips & Tricks
Statement of Purpose or as many prefer it to be as SOP is an extremely crucial piece of information and a very important part of your college application process. Many, however, fail to put the effort and minute attention it deserves and end up wasting this golden opportunity to attract the admission committee toward yourself. After all, it is a fact that even before you get the chance of an interview, it this your SOP that reaches the committee’s table and introduces you. It is after they like your ‘Statement of Purpose’ and considering other factors that they are going to call you.
As we understand the gravity of this important piece, we have given a few tips and tricks to better your SOP as much as possible.
Here are some helpful hints for making your SOP stand out from the crowd:
- Write narratives and not statements because statements do not resonate with us in the same way as stories do.
- Your stories must be crisp and precise
- The essay should be flexible
- Use a formal yet conversational tone in your writing.
- Make a decision on how you want to portray yourself. Also, learn how to portray in an indirect manner.
- Address your problems and shortcomings
- You should be thorough with the details of all the universities you are applying to, and list down all the things you like about the university
- Re-edit and proofread your work multiple times and try avoiding rookie mistakes.
- Request feedback on your essay from family and friends as this will give you an honest review and a scope for bettering it.
- Take advice from your professors.
- Mention how this course is going to help you and how you are going to give back to society with the learnings of the course.
To add a humane touch and make a better impression on the selectors, the SOP should also represent your extracurricular activities, fields of interest, active club memberships, and hobbies. So try keeping the SOP crisp, well informative, and mention points that highlight your special interests and abilities which will help your application get selected for the admission process and interview.
And a tip we would like to give you is that always keep yourself updated with all kinds of pieces of information relevant to your college admission process, application for a student visa, scholarships, student loans, etc. Try never to miss a deadline, and prefer submitting your applications or replying back to the mails before the given deadline. This will help you avoid last moments mistakes and also will help you portray your seriousness and sincerity about the course.
Try reading few sample SOPs before you start drafting your one as it will give you a fair idea about what you need to write and how you are going to write. This will help you ace your SOP after as explained earlier, this single piece of informative application has the strength to make or break your admission request or application.